6 Quick Ideas that could Increase Your Website Search TrafficPosted on - 23rd Jul, 2018 |
When it comes to better ranking and increasing traffic to your website links is very important along with unique content. Mobile friendliness plays a major role too. The world of SEO (search engine optimisation) is full of different opinions. Everyone has a technique they say made them rank on page 1. However, there are n number of factors that determine the traffic volume on a website. Over 200 at last count, some more important than others.
Time on site
The time users spent on your website is a major ranking factor. This basically depends on the type of website. (service, blog, e-commerce) but in any case, you must strive to reach an average of at least 2 min.
A person could spend half an hour on your website, but 5 people spend only 2 seconds each; in this case the mean average is 6 minutes and is a good result.
You can check metrics in Google Analytics, Similar Web, etc. To see the average time people spend on your site.
If the average time spent on the site is under 30 seconds, you could consider following improvements:
- Check you have created proper navigation
- Improve your content by keeping a good structure, break up big paragraphs with images, screenshots, infographics, lists, sub headings
- Avoid false promises in headings
- Interlink pages within your website
- Create attractive CTA (Calls to action)on your web pages
- Make it easy to understand what your content is all about
- Don’t use too many ads and pop ups
Search engines and users will tend to prefer websites that load quickly. Loading time is an SEO ranking factor.
According to the latest update from Google, this is a major factor in mobile search ranking.
Research says that most users expect websites to load within 2 seconds – you can use Google page speed insights to test your loading speed and figure out the issues.
Possible reasons for slow loading?
- Compression needed (use gZIP)
- Unclean code
- Outdated elements on web page (if any flash, replace it with HTML5)
- Not using cache
- Too many plugins
- Too many ads and pop ups
- jQuery and JS issues
- Unnecessary redirects
- External media usage
- Outdated CMS
- Badly optimised images (size, format, image tag, etc)
- Slow server response time
- Bad hosting
- Use CDN service – a distributed network of independent servers deployed in different geographic locations. (Use this, if you have visitors from around the world)
Go through the list provided by Google and check each aspect. For some of the issues raised, you may need to go back to your developer to help improve loading speed – follow the steps and you will increase ranking, traffic, conversions, and revenue.
LSI and long tail keywords
Latent semantic indexing helps search engine to identify related keywords and synonyms to deliver accurate results. Google’s algorithm uses advanced techniques to better understand the page context.
Some words may have different meanings. Google considers the synonyms and variations of words and phrases, as well as related keywords, to help search engines comprehend what your web page is all about.
Using these keywords, you can optimise a page with multiple keywords, avoid stuffing, rank for the right keywords and write the content naturally.
To manage the short-tail and especially long-tail keywords can be challenging at scale. Linkio is a tool that helps you to keep your various keywords organised, and it will give you the right anchor text to use with the right percentage to get over your competitors in a fast time.
Make sure your website is optimised for mobile phones; use the mobile friendly test in Google search console to find out.
Pay some attention to
- Local search optimisation
- Website speed
- Mobile UX (User experience)
- Code compatibilities
- Use schema.org
- Visible text
- Mobile site configuration
- Image and video availability
- Responsive design
- Mobile HTML sitemap
There are many factors that you should consider. Without these steps – your website will become outdated and find it hard to compete with more up-to-date websites.
LinkedIn and Facebook groups aren’t a place for advertisers and spammers. You shouldn’t publish and promote 10 posts per day.
You should use these platforms, only if you:
- Have an article that spark debates
- Want to ask for feedback
- Have some related questions to ask
- Want to discuss with specialists
Find relevant groups on these 2 platforms and become an active member. Share, like and speak with other members and help to solve their problems.
After some time, you will able to post your articles. Before promoting make sure you read the rules of the community.
Text size is very important. Make sure your content is readable for visitors in both mobile and desktop screens.
Small text sizes lead to high bounce rates.
If users are not able to read text, they leave in seconds. It will easily disengage a reader if the text is hard to read and isn’t aesthetic. They will just see it and click off. Here are some methods to keep them reading:
- Create visually stunning website design
- Beautiful motion graphics
- Fabulous photography
- Interesting content
This will bring you more traffic, a low bounce rate, and they will spend a longer time on the website.
Here’s a summary of the main points made:
- Make sure your website is mobile friendly
- Increase your website speed
- Be a part of social media platform communities
- Work your content to make your visitors spend more time on the website
- Use LSI and long tail keywords without keyword stuffing
We hope this article gives you an idea about how you could improve your website to increase traffic. You may think everything is working fine, but there’s always something you can improve on. If you have any advice you could offer, we’d really appreciate you leaving a comment.